It is simply something that I felt compelled to write about being a father.
This is not a comprehensive list, nor is it a list that is intended to knock your socks off. These are in no particular order.
1. My son has introduced me to a new kind of love I never thought possible. To be such an integral part of my son’s upbringing has caused me great joy, anxiety, sleepless nights, pain, hope, and all that comes with caring for someone more than anything else in this world.
2. One of the greatest days in my life was when my son told me he loved me. It sounded more like “I luh loo” but it was still beautiful.
3. I don’t even mind listening to Raffi, or other super catchy kids music. It’s worth it just to see how happy he gets. Sometimes I catch myself listening to it when he isn’t even in the car because that’s what was in the CD player.
4. I was kindly reminded the other day that I will never regret spending time with my family. I will never look back upon life and say “gosh, I sure did spend waaay too much time with my son.” In a seemingly ‘work hard, play hard’ world, this reminder becomes increasingly important.
5. I’m terrified because I know I will make mistakes.
6. The call to fatherhood is a divine calling.
7. The new thing my son and I are doing is singing our ABC’s. He gets about half of the letters right, but that’s ok because him doing it right isn’t the point. The point is that we are singing it, and learning it together.
I love my boy and thank God for him every day.